NewCity, a digital agency in the eastern US, is seeking a Wordpress developer who loves working with a team to create smart, easy to use WordPress sites.
NewCity is a 26 year-old, 25-person firm, working in a highly collaborative, low-ego environment to create digital experiences for the real world. We ask big questions, dream big dreams, but at the end of the day we build things that work. Our culture is can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, I’ve got your back and you’ve got mine. We’re constantly learning, experimenting and reinventing NewCity. We design and build enterprise-level websites for higher education, large non-profit, and commercial clients. Our core expertise is in the higher education and non-profit space where we’ve been pioneers of human-centered design for over two decades.
We’re organized around seven key disciplines: user experience, visual design, content strategy, development, digital marketing and analytics, project management and business development. Our project teams are made of people from multiple disciplines.
You’ll work with user experience experts, designers, and other developers to model content, manage community and custom plugins, and implement front end HTML/CSS/JS code as custom themes. On many projects you’ll be paired with a senior WordPress developer.
You’ll often work directly with clients, helping achieve good solutions for page building and workflows in WordPress, and training them to use the themes we build.
This job could be a great fit for you if you…
- believe development is creative, and developers should have a role in shaping the strategy and architecture of the projects they build.
- are looking for a highly collaborative work environment where you learn from and teach your peers.
- want to level up your WordPress skills.
- love diving in to learn new technologies and methods.
- have an in-depth understanding of the entire web development process - design, development and deployment.
- have a solid understanding of how to build web pages that are both accessible and responsive.
- can organize and prioritize your own work, participating in 3-4 projects at a time.
- want to have a say in the direction of the company where you work.
This is a full-time position.
- 2-3 years of experience in web development including:
- building Wordpress sites and overall front-end development
- understanding of the Wordpress architecture overall (the Loop, actions and filters, etc), and how to debug it
- planning and setting up custom post types, categories, Gutenberg blocks, and configuring Advanced Custom Fields.
- working with multiple developers in git version control
- collaborating with UX architects and UI designers to ensure that wireframes and designs can be implemented within the WordPress CMS
- creating HTML/CSS/JS code for web templates
- implementing HTML/CSS/JS as a custom WordPress theme
- Twig templating
- assessing and remediating WCAG / Section 508 accessibility issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Remote experience
- Experience with
- building within front-end pattern libraries such as Patternlab or Storybook
- React framework
- building WordPress plugins
- building custom Gutenberg blocks
NewCity is distributed, but we have several team members in the Blacksburg, VA and Charleston, SC areas. You would be working from home, traveling occasionally to meet with coworkers or clients in person (once it’s safe to do so again). You must reside in either the Eastern or Central US time zones to be available for meetings during our regular business hours of 9am-5pm Eastern.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package; salary for this position will vary based on experience. Benefits include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- LTD/STD/Life Insurance
- Remote Stipend
- 12 Vacation days, 5 Personal days
- 10 Paid Holidays
We do not sponsor employment visas; only candidates legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
A small note on diversity
We treasure the differences and unique perspectives each of us brings to NewCity. We want to keep growing in diversity and inclusion – it makes us richer in every way. Please know that we are seeking applications from everyone, no matter what background you come from. If this sounds like the job you want, we want to hear from you.
NewCity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.